A FEW THINGS ABOUT THE LIONS CLUB OF MALANDA IN 2014
The club meets twice a month. Members are encouraged to attend all meetings and activities and enjoy mixing with like minded people.
Membership is by invitation and open to men and women over 18. Fees are charged and cover insurances, affiliation responsibilities, awards as appropriate, Lions magazines at club, district and national levels, assistance to attend major conventions, badges and a club shirt.
Current membership is 35 and new members are always welcome.
Organised social occasions are held usually to coincide with Christmas, Youth of the Year Judging, District Governor’s official visit, annual Changeover of office bearers, occasional home hosted get togethers or when someone has a good excuse. This amounts to about 6-7 a year.
Lions International and the District Lions organization set the basic constitution and objectives of all clubs but each is autonomous and free to carry out its own projects and support whatever causes it chooses.
Currently the Malanda club’s major activities include-
- Managing the Malanda Markets 3rd Saturday each month. A major community event.
- Operating its own 13 pensioner accommodation units in Malanda. Currently developing a project to create self contained living units for disabled single young people.
- A public Goose Club fund raising raffle each Saturday drawn at the Malanda RSL.
- The Great Australian Grocery Grab raffle each year and regular public fund raising raffles to assist causes as they are identified.
- Marketing Lions Christmas cakes & puddings, through local commercial outlets and club members.
- Participating in the National Lions Youth of the Year contest for High School students each year.
- Organizing periodic Glaucoma and Blood Pressure screenings.
- Organising the Qld Titles Billycart Race. First run 2009, repeated in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. In development for 2014. This year to be on 17 August.
- Financially supporting international, national and local causes and requests as members approve.
- Providing and operating the club’s ever popular Merry Go Round at numerous community events. (It is the only one on the Southern Tablelands).
- Managing the entry gates for the annual Malanda Show over its 3 days.
- Various local projects as they are identified and organized. These are random such as assisting at the Anzac Day event and the Malanda Christmas Eve Event, Australia Day event.
- Occasional use of its outdoor catering trailer for fund raising events.
- Production of a regular club bulletin.
- A good social atmosphere.
All Lions and Lioness clubs operate under the Lions International guidelines but have their own policies, projects, activities and internal organizations.
Revised – July 2017
OFFICE BEARERS FOR 2017-18
PRESIDENT LIONEL SMITH
1ST VP DON GALE
2ND VP CATH LORENSEN
SECRETARY TED GRIFFIN
TREASURER REBECCA BLAKESLEY
IMMED PAST PRES. BRUCE CAMPBELL
MEMBERSHIP CHAIR BRUCE CAMPBELL
LION TAMER CADE BLAKESLEY
TAIL TWISTER TANIA GALE
DIRECTOR RAY SUTTON
DIRECTOR DOM PARISE
DIRECTOR CARLA MAAS
Here is brief 30 second video about Lions Clubs in Australia.
Lions Clubs Australia